[iDC] animism and such

Malian Lahey mlahey at artic.edu
Fri Oct 6 08:25:11 EDT 2006

> > I suspect magic has its place as an intermediary, as do most tropes. I
> really
> > don't want any magic mumbo-jumbo in the technical documents produced by the
>
> > aeronautical engineers who are trying to work out how a 617 ton Airbus A380
>
> > will actually get off the ground and stay off the ground in a controlled
> > manner for the duration of its 9,000 mile flight. That's just not funny or
>
> > helpful. Same goes for the civil engineer's bridge, the politician's
> > environmental action plan, or the prostate surgeon's procedures.
> >
> > Magic and animism works well-enough for me as a way to describe the quirky
>
> > personality traits of a cranky laptop, for example, the culinary flair of a
>
> > dinner chef or the sudden appearance of favorable weather. The stakes are
> in
> > the description.

Has anyone read "Original Wisdom" by Robert Wolff?  A professor at the
University of Hawaii, his experiences of "magic" relate to the discussion here.
 He was taught by an aboriginal Malaysian shaman (for lack of a better word).
Many of his experiences involved synchronicity, for example.  The aborigines
made a distinction similar to Julian's between "our" diseases that could be
solved through their traditional methods, and "White People" diseases that had
to be solved with white people medicine.  In their society, almost all that
they eat and use (the exceptions being things like tea and the communal cooking
pan) comes directly from nature.  Their approach to knowledge is nothing so
suspicious and detached as science; they just "know" things.  For example, in
the morning they all sit around discussing their dreams from the previous
night.  Intuitively, they assemble these dreams into a story; eg a story about
birds bringing other birds to see a giant flower.  During the day, the
villagers let Wolff on a long journey through the forest at the end of which
they encountered a rare Rafflesia flower.  The villagers did not know it was
there in advance, they simply navigated their reality through what I would
guess is a very thorough experience of information synthesis in the brain.

I'm disturbed by the ideas about "magic" as either coercive force or "ways to
create pleasure".  These articulations seem to me abysmally ethnocentric; sorry
if that feels offensive.  We come up with those ideas because those are the
experiences we have previously had; fine.  Yet what about the possibility that
our social structure simply doesn't give space for other experiences of that
kind?  I mean, with H20 molecules, there are a zillion possible variants of
snow crystals, and yet they all have six sides.  Isn't it possible that we're
just completely bombing out when it comes to seeing our own limitations?  I
happen to think that its not just possible, its 100% certain.

the Malaysian Sng'oi who taught Robert Wolff have a society where no one tells
someone else what to do, ever.  They just "know".  They don't dominate or
coerce and people who get angry are considered deeply humiliating and socially
aberrant.  I think most Americans would never believe that such a society could
even exist because we have had it drilled into us that there's only one
"reality".  We've never considered that it might just be that our reality is
something we have to constantly re create and agree to experience.

Further, practicioners of what we may call "magic" in nature-based societies do
not "create" pleasure as a phenomenon.  In order to be magical, one has to
*exist in pleasure*, magic *is* pleasure.  Again, telling the Westerner that
they *potentially* could experience a life of constant, satisfying joy
generally falls on deaf ears.

Westerners generally prefer to toy with such ideas and create a "trend" based on
them without relinquishing a fundamental denial of their truth.  A trend brings
one close enough to the "trope" to be exotic and fascinating to their peers,
without challenging the persistent structure of their culture.  Very boring.

as for animism, has it ever occured to anyone that glitches and syncronicity
with regards to objects could imply that the object (for example, computer) is
simply a nexus through which the accumulated consequences of many events and
thoughts becomes redirected at what is normally the agent (computer user)?
It's not necessary to lump it all together into the word "magic" and then
forget about it.  Actually, I find the impulse to assign the category "magic"
to this phenomena, cowardice or laziness.  Subconsciously, we know that a real
effort to understand this phenomena would ultimately threaten our way of being
in the world (otherwise known as "reality").

interestingly enough, it seems that only that which threatens the foundation of
our "reality" is powerful enough to actually alter it.  Since our "reality"
seems to be heading for a crash-landing, wouldn't it be time to consider
exploring some of those threats as potential life-savers?

Malian