[iDC] animism and such

Julian Bleecker julian at techkwondo.com
Tue Oct 3 12:36:46 EDT 2006

Aiyee.. I'm not sure I heard Sterling come up _against_ animism or
magic, did I? I mean, I heard him take a position, but I'm not 100%
sure that it was _against_ magic, the way one might be unquestionably
against fascism or something, like it's a bad thing, unexceptionally.
What would it mean to be against magic, anyway? Seems a bit like
being against breakfast cereal or summer or something.

Anyway, for myself, admittedly, I have limited exposure to this magic
trope. My bargain-basement understanding of magic is that, on one
hand, it can produce fascinating, awe-inspiring delight and candy for
the imagination (the guy at the kid's birthday party or at the Magic
Castle supper club over there in Hollywood.)

Then there's the other kind of magic that articulates the will of the
guy who happens to have the beater for the medicine drum and the
necklace with the most bear claws, sublimating his will through the
deployment of magic.

The latter is really a cloaked, non-transparent process for
activating power and will, the former a playful and metaphorical
interface between our desire, imagination and our objects.

I suspect magic has its place as an intermediary, as do most tropes.
I really don't want any magic mumbo-jumbo in the technical documents
produced by the aeronautical engineers who are trying to work out how
a 617 ton Airbus A380 will actually get off the ground and stay off
the ground in a controlled manner for the duration of its 9,000 mile
flight. That's just not funny or helpful. Same goes for the civil
engineer's bridge, the politician's environmental action plan, or the
prostate surgeon's procedures.

Magic and animism works well-enough for me as a way to describe the
quirky personality traits of a cranky laptop, for example, the
culinary flair of a dinner chef or the sudden appearance of favorable
weather. The stakes are in the description.

Am I for it, or agin' it?

Julian