[iDC] Re: Toward a Post-Post-Critical Future

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 2 09:08:12 EDT 2006

Mark Bartlett wrote a very thoughtful remark on something I
said here:

>> Brian writes: ³One of the things that could be done right away is to use
>> mobile communications media to constitute groups which could build up a
>> sensory, narrative and relational consistency between each other, on a
>> deliberately singularizing basis, at collective variance with respect to
>> the norms of contemporary hyperindividualism.²
>
> This type of alliance-making isn't necessarily distinguishable from
> pensée 68 experiments to invent new forms of subjectivity, and could
> very possibly lead to the same dead ends, socially and politically. It
> might be able to resist "hyperindividualism" but is still a form of
> individualism, which according to some readings, is a very detrimental
> mythological object/impasse. And Brian's comment could be interpreted as
> a form of techno-determinism, which attributes to technology a magical
> power of causality, capable of changing relations. what is needed is
> not, (if i'm at all understanding the term), "singularizing," but
> collectivizing (not the best word either), with strategies and tactics
> that effectively challenge not rampant libertarianism, but, the
> extraordinarily effective "masses" organized by neocon
> strategies/tactics.

I agree with most of this, as will be clear after
eliminating a few misunderstandings. Technodeterminism is,
to my mind, a huge trap into which much thinking and acting
falls. A closely associated trap is the hyperindividualism
which has been reinforced by the development of consumer
technologies, at least since the mass-marketing of the
automobile. I do think that libertarianism (in the US sense
of the term) has been one of the ideologies of this
hyperindividualism. But the paradox remains that these are
mass ideologies. It's extremely telling that the neocon
reassertion of power was initially led by a libertarian who
combined triumphant technodeterminism with religious
moralism (George Gilder, a leading proponent of Intelligent
Design); and that, when power was actually taken by the
Bush-Cheney gang, it was then used to defend the Fordist way
of life (abundant oil and the preeminence of certain
industrial sectors). So I believe there is a deep connection
between individualism and mass society, one which has become
more complex over time, due to the really amazing
development of gadgetized hyperindividualism, or what I call
the flexible personality. Perhaps the best definition of
hyperindividualism is that it is an unconsciousness of
society (which, Margret Thatcher once claimed, "does not
exist").

One of the big problems is simply tearing oneself away from
this complex of attitudes and ideas which has co-evolved
with such a powerful economic model. The suggestion that I
made (as I said, it's just one suggestion, there could be
very many) was oriented toward the issues being discussed on
this list, i.e. the famous mobile technologies, and their
relation to architecture. "Singularizing" in this sense
means finding ways not only to think but also to feel
outside the formats provided by the society, which massifies
us in that strange contemporary way. It could be very
interesting to try this out by means of experiments using
exactly what appears as the instrument of alienation:
namely, the fetishized gadgetry of mobile telephony and GPS,
which also serves as an important means of communication.
The difficulty is clearly that you can never achieve any
kind of distance from society all by yourself, or on the
level of superficial communication promoted by consumerism
and competitive professionalism. Any deep transformation of
the self has to be collective, because it can only be
sustained by inventing or cultivating other languages,
images, patterns of thought, affect, relation and
expression. One of the most compelling possibilities of art
today is to experiment with possibilities for attaining this
kind distance and making this kind of transformation, which
takes, however, a greater effort than most want to make,
because you really do have to grapple with powerfully
reinforced habits and quasi-automatic behaviors. Any group
who succeeds in doing so becomes important, particularly
when it retains a clear and explicit concern for the whole
of society. This is what I mean when I talk about being "at
collective variance with respect to the norms of
hyperindividualism." But of course, the phrase itself was
too short to communicate all those meanings clearly.

I find it very interesting that Mark should go on to mention
Bourdieu's notion of the "Collective Intellectual." I have
participated in various direct-action groups over the last
ten years which respond more or less to that definition. In
the group Ne Pas Plier, we used it explicitly. However, the
tremendous diversity and deliberation of the movements which
converged on Genoa in July of 2001, and from which the
European Social Forum movement basically sprang, was perhaps
the most impressive thing I have ever encountered along
those lines. An amazingly complex collective process on a
grand scale (the World Social Forum is continuing this kind
of process, as I found this January in Venezuela). But I
don't think that you can reduce the possibilities of social
change to any one model. The Royal Society of which Mark
writes is much more influential when the streets are full of
protestors against oil companies, or when a number of
smaller ecological lobbying and direct-action groups manage
to do something together. What I have observed is that the
larger convergences in society are usually driven by
forerunner actions of smaller groups, which break through
the perception of normalcy. These are minority endeavors,
which can only get into motion to the extent that they break
away from the status quo, and to that extent, singularize
themslves.

Having seen how this kind of thing works over time, I have
come to believe that the minority position is actually
necessary, in order to create the impetus for the formation
of anything like the "collective intellectual" (although I
also think this collectivity has to be more or other than
just intellectual, as very few people - some, but very few -
are able to motivate themselves toward a dissenting or
oppositional stance on the basis of purely scientific or
disciplinary thinking). The big problem I have observed is
that groups which do autonomize themselves to some degree,
often have a hard time accepting the translation of their
thoughts and actions back into something that is ultimately
only a small change in the course of the mainstream. It is
hard for people to learn to live with this paradox.

The question of what people on this list could do in terms
of moving toward a posture of greater collective engagement
seems to me like a good one.

best, Brian