[iDC] Against Web 2.0

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Sun May 28 09:01:37 EDT 2006

hi rob, et. all,

Many intersting points and references.

I checked out the EE website and was intrigued by how empty it is!
(though there are lots of words..)

The paper is much more intersting, indeed because it shows that the
infinity of advanced capitalism's quests has already landed on the
shores of deconstruction and post-structuralism - fascinating!

It strikes me that this approach is to some extend defeating its own
puprose, if in any case the purpose Mark van Doorn delineates is the
true one. Which is to say that the quest for self-determination and
meaningful and memorable experiences ultimately will hinge on
people's understanding that they are not merely consuming a product,
but that they are actually participating in a meaningful social
process not guided by an extrinsic logic (profit), something that
rather has intrinsic, or 'sovereign' value. I don't believe that
these two can be fused into one as a business process always
necessarily relies on an external utilitarian motive beyond the
object itself (profit, market share, enhancing brand recognition,
long-term consumer franchise, etc..), while we can learn from
Bataille that the sovereign (experience) is "life beyond utility".

So when van Doorn writes: "Technology and business it seems can learn
a lot from literature and performance studies as these disciplines
provide insight into how meaningful and memorable experiences are
structured" he is certainly right. They can learn how to create even
more business opportunities for themselves and harvest new emerging
markets more effecively. However, the aim of supporting the quest for
self-determination and meaningful experience wil not be fulfilled by
these kind of advanced (read: cloacked) alienating strategies of
informational capitalism.

best wishes,
eric

p.s. - maybe I should add, also the cultural sector will