[iDC] Net autonomy

Sarah Lewison socialsculpture at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 02:03:08 EST 2006

hey Trebor,
I'm usually more comfy lurking, but am inspired after
hearing Raqs MC talk tonight--

Yr comments on Indymedia touch on interesting things:
why do  you believe Indymedia numbers are declining?

and if they are surviving on donations of time and
money, then, what does it mean? love? real dependency?
need?

what is the relationship between the autonomy of an
online site and the motivation of participants, etc)
- in otherwords, is this mythical online 'autonomy' a
reason to habituate a site in itself? or is it about
novelty?   improved design/less clutter?

And finally what IS the deal on size?  you are
correct that anything big is seen as having $ making
potential, and thus susceptible to buy out-- therefore
perhaps a good model is somethign that looks tiny on
the face, and conceals its real size from the
investors...(like one of those 4 mile wide
mushrooms...)  if it really matters..

Recently I peeked at Portland indymedia, to learn
about the eco-activist cases- those folks who have
been accused of terrorism with the insane sentences of
300 years hanging over their heads.

Judging from P-town and a few others I scanned,
Indymedia sites are explicitly local--even though they
are networked, share feeds, and are responsive to the
world outside their locale, they also seem to have
local particularities and a locally communicative
role.
Do they then also perhaps work as performative
platforms for the particularity and identity of a
place? --  through the participation of the members,
contributors, readers, etc, a kind of participatory
identity-formation  that contributes to a sense of--
self-determination or autonomy?

(well, it could equally be contributing to some
horribly egregious or dangerous ideologies too, but
the point is that it isn't a production of a local
which is  about isolationism per se, but rather a
production of the local that is organically related to
concerns of regionally based progressives and
activists.. ) Even the subtitle on the site --- "your
news.... from lower cascadia.........."   references
the 70s movement of bioregionally centered self
determining geographic territories.

Many of the news items on these sites are about the
local manifestations of (perhaps the same global)
problems and issues and are indexing a physical
regional aggregation of f2f events.

  Doesn't this perhaps produce another kind of
resistence to -- homogenization/consolidation, etc
etc.  that exceeds  the 'space' of the online network
--
and thus hopefully leading to formations of useful
political analysis and politicized bodies, etc that

I'm saying this because it seems that some really
materially and economically progressive  organizing is
going on-- using the currently available online spaces
in spite of the limitations of what servers we can
access...  and despite the  ads they drag around with
them..like so many dingleberries..
 in a perverse way, maybe that really local stuff is
the most resistant to corporate buy out...

best cheers,
Sarah

=== message truncated ===

Sarah Lewison