[iDC] Digital Rights Management and Internet2

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Tue Mar 14 09:12:50 EST 2006

Trebor Scholz wrote:
> Some reports say that the [Internet2] routers will execute a new generation of
> Digital Rights Management (DRM).
I just wanted to share a few finds related to "bandwidth management" on
_todays_ internet. Interestingly enough, Canadas ISPs - which seemed
relatively bening on the p2p front as compared to the US - are involved
in some secret "network optimizations". In any respect, I2 deployment
will likely make it easier and more efficient for all players in the
Internet infrastructure to "manage" (i.e. filter) traffic flows. But raw
network filtering is really nothing new and protocol level proxying
which puts your websurfing through _their_ servers (so filtering and
logging are just a config-file edit away) is in common use. You can test
your ISP or university networks for filters and transparent proxying
with tracetcp: http://tracetcp.sourceforge.net/usage_proxy.html (this
app is for windows boxes, on Linux or OSX traceroute does the same). A
survey using these tools on a variety of networks might even be a nice
lab-project for students.

Limiting P2P

In the p2p arena, providers seem to cap bandwidth usage - on the forums,
the talk was that the new residential VoIP service was impacted by heavy
p2p users prompting a filtering of the p2p ports at these providers.
Since almost all providers worldwide are having some VoIP plan, I expect
to see this kind of restriction to become very common.

Shaw secretly limits BitTorrent uploads
http://news.fudo.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15

Rogers Bit Torrent Cat & Mouse
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/71914

Limiting VoIP

Since VoIP is a new cash cow for ISPs and they control their networks,
filtering the competition out of the datastream seems like a typical
business trend. We'll have to see what the regulators have to say ...
especially contentious, since most broadband connections are operated by
the traditional Telcos which, while regulated heavily, seem to have a
bigger stake than all to retain voice communication customers at all costs.

Cable Companies: We'll Kill VoIP
http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2006/03/cable_companies.html

Australian ISPs

Australian ISPs seems to keep a keep a layed back approach for now - but
then a 10G cap is meager pickings (I get a 102G/month cap) which will
probably not satisfy users in the years to come (its the bandwidth
needed for a daily 1.5h VoIP call). Plus the p2p police is not far ...

Big three ISPs say peer-to-peer OK
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,18213133%5e15306%5e%5enbv%5e15306,00.html

Australian ISP raided in BitTorrent crackdown
http://news.com.com/Australian+ISP+raided+in+BitTorrent+crackdown/2100-1025_3-5608567.html

China's Firewall

Of course we enjoy still a relatively unobstructed dataflow compared to
other countries. Interestingly enough, I2 might become more irrelevant
for the bulk of users from China, as this massive country prepares its
own Internet - likely complete with content filters integrated at every
edge of the network infrastructure. With that in mind, Google's recent
debacle on search filtering seems like a reasonable business decision to
me after all. They face sineo-irrelevancy with a decade in my view anyhow.

Empirical Analysis of Internet Filtering in China
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/

China Prepares to Launch Alternate Internet
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/28/1610242

cu
Andreas