[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

Doran Massey ddm227 at nyu.edu
Fri Mar 10 04:48:11 EST 2006

I was a software test engineer/lead in the Windows Div. of Microsoft,
1997 - 2003.  We tested application compatibility as we developed new
versions of Windows & I never noticed FLOSS apps having more bugs.  In
fact, sometimes I was surprised when they were more robust than similar
commercial apps.  The only security reports I remember seeing were
statistics on the rates of success of attempts to break into various OS
systems.  If I remember right, Linux (not sure which distro's) was at
least as secure as Windows XP.

Simon, I'm surprised IT has any role in your space other than providing
access to WAN.  If your students can reasonably be expected to develop
software or be expert users of software, then I think they need the
experience of setting up & maintaining their machines.  Ideally they
would live with them so the machines become an extension of themselves.
I've worked at a few computer co's & their tech people did all of their
own tech support except for WAN.  That was also what I observed students
& faculty doing at tech art/music dept's at Stanford, UWashington, NYU &
I think Columbia.

-Doran