[[[IDC]][iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

Liam wells l.wells at nsad.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 17:49:01 EST 2006

Been lurking for a while.....been finding the debates on IDC valuable &
invigorating....maybe I might speak on this subject?

I agree with Trebor, the need for a hybrid approach to software in education
is important. As cultural producers we select the appropriate materials for
the work in hand, or we experiment with the processes available. But we do
this (hopefully) driven by conceptual need. Does It matters less whether the
software is politically/ morally justified or whether what we produce with
it is? Is a work of art Œbetter¹ if it is produced Œopen source¹ or by an
open/ experimental approach to proprietary systems?

>From experience as a student, an educator & producer there seems to be
arguments for both commercial & FLOSS softwares. It¹s a complex one. We
might teach  digital synthesis/ audio editing technique in industry
applications ­ Pro Tools et al, whilst recommend open source (e.g. audacity)
to students who need to work at home. One often finds that familiarity with
concepts driven in class by proprietary software opens out and explains the
process so much easier, making FLOSS more accessible. (whilst the reverse is
also often true].

Ultimately, we perform multiple functions ­ we Œtrain¹ students to use the
software which will get them work (the employers will ask for commercial
applications, try saying Gimp to someone in HR asking for Photoshop!) This
work funds time to experiment with open systems & freer ways of working &
further enhancement of artistic practices

The important thing is to promote awareness of & the skills/ abilities to
further explore FLOSS alongside the expensive/ corporate systems. It¹s all a
question of interface...

Best

Liam