[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

apolli at hunter.cuny.edu apolli at hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Mar 6 17:34:30 EST 2006

Thanks, Trebor, for the good, practical thoughts.  I agree that courses
have to be concept driven and have to confess that I probably wouldn't
be able to teach a software driven class if I had to (too boring!), but
I do think we have a responsibility to make sure students have the
ability to do what they want with the software.  Students who have
computer experience prior to entering college aren't the issue, it's
the ones without the experience (immigrant populations, students from
underfunded grade and high schools, etc.) that worry me.  Programming
of course is key, that's something I've been focusing on with students
for a long time, and something I think should be core knowledge in
public k-12 education.  It's a literacy issue, those with the knowledge
of programming not only have the ability to succeed professionally
(including starting businesses), but like reading and writing, have the
ability to express themselves and be active social and political
actors.  I've been teaching for a while so I've had the pleasure to see
students transcend social and economic class by gaining a high level of
programming skill and creativity.

One last anecdote: Trebor, I relate to your experience after you
graduated from Slade, when I graduated from the school of the art
institute of chicago where I did primarily programming interactive
systems for performance and installation, I didn't even have the funds
to buy a computer!  It sounds strange now, but at the time computers
were not as ubiquitous.  I finally ended up winning a used one in a
raffle!

Has anyone else on the list had experience with these hybrid classrooms
Trebor is talking about?  How has it worked?  Andrea