[iDC] Re: Undermining open source: iTunes U

Andrea Polli apolli at hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Mar 6 14:16:49 EST 2006

It is more and more apparent that digital art/media in academia has
been hijacked by the software industry.  Professional design and media
firms use commercial software tools so in order to help students move
into the professional world we're forced to provide these tools, paying
the software companies big bucks to create new customers. How do we get
out of this cycle?   I'd be curious to hear how members on this list
have addressed this in their programs and curriculum.

Requiring the use of open source tools by not providing access to the
industry standard software applications in a digital art/media program
seems like an extreme position that would require total restructuring.
It seems a program would have to:

-replace software budgets with full time technical and research staff
to work with the often buggy and undocumented open source tools

-sacrifice the moderate learning curve that allows almost immediate
visual expression for a steeper learning curve and a limited (at least
in the short term) expressive capability

-abandon the idea that students will be gaining entry level design
industry skills for the idea that in the long term their highly
developed design ability will over-ride their lack of industry standard
tool experience.  Coming from an urban public university, I have a lot
of students who didn't learn how to use computers in k-12 and need to
have jobs outside of school.  I struggle with the idea of addressing
tools or the 'craft' aspect of digital art and media in curriculum. In
our embrace of open source, can and should we expect students to learn
commercial industry tools outside of school if they want industry
design jobs or to take unrelated jobs until they are at an art
director/non tool-specific professional level?

It's a real dilemma.
--
Andrea Polli
MFA Director