[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

Joshua Levy joshualev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 13:00:02 EST 2006

I've actually been interested in the ways that Apple promotes itself -- on
one hand they wrap themselves in counter-cultural rhetoric (though they've
thankfully dispensed with the "Think Different" campaign and its use of
cultural heroes) but on the other hand, as this story suggests, now that
they're at the top of the digital music heap they're engaging in
questionable practices, as Udell suggests.

As this writer mentions, many of us use and love our Apple products, from
iPods to Powerbooks to, um, the Mighty Mouse I just bought.   They make nice
stuff.  But I also love the concept and practice of open source, and use
open source products as much as possible.  And although Apple has embraced
(or usurped) open source projects like Unix and Konquerer, they don't seem
much concerned about the culture of openness that made those projects
possible.

They way they've clamped down on copyright issues, attacked those who leak
secrets, and restrict the use of digital music reminds me of another
computing behemoth... and I wonder what Apple would become if they grew half
has large as Microsoft is.

Udell says:

The Web was first conceived as a means of academic collaboration. Blogging
> and podcasting represent the long-awaited fulfillment of that dream.

But I fear Apple is only in it for the money, collaboration and openness be
damned.

-Josh

www.levjoy.com