[iDC] On Interdisciplinarity. An Interview with Simon Penny

Malian Lahey mlahey at artic.edu
Sun Mar 5 10:31:47 EST 2006

Hullo all:

I find this interview very curious.  At the same time I think Penny's ideas on
interdisciplinarity are more or less sane, I find it problematic that he has
conceptualized "power brokers of the conventional art world" as those who keep
him marginalized.

Being interdisciplinary myself, (anthropologist/artist) I think that it's quite
normal for someone with highly developed skills in one discipline
(anthropology/digital technology) to feel like a stepchild when trying to
integrate into a new community (artist).

I think it's important to point out that there are *always* points where the
disciplines clash and these are wonderful (if hard) opportunities for dialogue,
growth and learning.  To see this as "oppression" is shutting down the
conversation and therefore, likely to escalate a conflict.

Probably digital arts will not be fully integrated into mainstream art until its
practitioners begin to address some EXTREMELY problematic points which likely
disturb many people outside of the digital community.

1) The issue of more and more people dependent on virtual interactivity for
their social needs.  In one sense, it is tragic to see people so alienated from
the physical world that they never act out in the "real" world.  They are so
dissociated from power! (instead, they plug into the "sense" of power)  I have
said this before, but I wish that some computer geeks I have met would quit
internalizing their day to day traumas + acting them out in gaming.  The world
would be a better place if they had real-time strategies for zapping the
folks/corporations who hurt them and holding them accountable!

2) Generally people recognize that the continuing trend towards refining and
hyper-refining urbanization takes people away from nature.  What's the problem
with that?  Oh, well, let's see: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression, cancer
caused by toxins in day to day products like PVC, and etc.  We're also
dependent on destroying the environment, in order to obtain our fun fun
technology.  This is setting the stage for a vicious future conflict between
people who refuse to let go of nature and those who refuse to let go of
technology.

SIMON PENNY'S VIEW ON NATURE, AS SENT TO ME IN A PERSONAL EMAIL:
> >After a while humans won't even remember what nature was like.
> Maybe every generation feels something like this. Its nostalgia.
> Nostalgia is not bad, its just melancholic memory. You can't have
> nostalgia when you're young. Regretting the loss of nature is like
> regretting the passing of youth.

Whaddya think?  Scary or not?  Is Penny being subjected to marginalization or
very healthy circumspection?

I am a student and as of yet I am practicing art in sort of a vaccuum.  Penny is
an internationally recognized exhibitor and professor who has founded a big
expensive program at Irvine.  I won't be surprised if nobody wants to listen to
me.  But Penny is in my opinion, a scary scary guy - from the little Hitler
moustache he wore when I met him, down to the artwork he made which is one of
the most fascist things I have ever seen
(http://www.acmi.net.au/fugitive.jsp).

Needless to say I give him a thumbs down as a cultural practicioner:
reconceptualizing his fascist tendencies as "resistance" is would be ridiculous
if it wasn't terrifyingly reminiscent of Hitler and Stalin.

Cheers
Malian