[iDC] Table Tennis, Schmeb 2, List Dynamics, and Autonomous Uses of Sociable Web Media

Miguel Afonso Caetano miguel.a.caetano at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 11:45:27 EDT 2006

Hello, everybody

I'm new to the list, but i've been following with a little scepticism
the Web 2.0 hysteria. The autonomous use of these social technologies
is very problematic because, on one hand, we can see that big
corporations like Google and Yahoo are becoming more and more
interested in Web 2.0, making a concerted effort to profit indirectly
from advertising - generated by way of personalized ads - in these
sites and, on the other hand, there's a growing mass of users with
very different interests and motivations that are deliberately giving
up their privacy without realizing the potencial repercussions of
their actions in terms of state and corporate monitoring.

Furthermore, one should not forget the voyeuristic alienation that is
connected to these networks. Everybody watches everybody, just for the
sake of it. In Web 2.0, there's no need for a Big Brother. It's like a
collective surveillance, instead of a collective intelligence. Nathan,
of Swarming Media (www.swarmingmedia.com) has been writing about this
for some time now - see his recent post
www.swarmingmedia.com/2006/06/the_network_of_identity_and_th.html.

A paradigmatic and illustrative example of the passivity that Web 2.0
induces in the user can be seen, IMO, in a new firefox extension
called The Swarm (www.swarmthe.com), that lets people see in real time
what sites are the other users browsing in that moment
(www.swarmthe.com/go/swarm). In paper, the idea is great: to foster
serendipity, the accidental discovery of interesting sites. But in
practice, it is nothing more than a spectacle, a performance in which
we are drowned by torrents of thumbs of the same popular sites
(google, cnn, gmail, digg, slashdot, p0rn, yahoo, msn, etc). We can
see the screenshots of other people who are browsing through the same
sites that we tend to visit most often. And even when we find a new
site that sounds interesting the information that is given about it is
very scant. It makes me remind me of the second part of Win Wenders's
movie "Until the End Of The World" (1991) where all the characters
spend all the time watching the images of their own dreams in tiny LCD
PSP-like screens...

Best,

Miguel Caetano