[iDC] Poking holes in the public-private gradient

Mark Shepard mshepard at andinc.org
Sun Jul 23 23:31:04 EDT 2006

As Frazer Ward suggests, there is no publicity without privacy:

> It seems to me that privacy and publicness may be more tightly
> wound together than ever, so that while we try to articulate
> relations between what we might call micro-publics and larger
> formations, we need not to forget the private realm, or whatever
> has become of it.

If anything, the problem might be in the tendency to think through
the relations between public and private in terms of a strict
dichotomy. Neither exists in a pure state, and more often we
encounter subtle hybrids of the two in the course of everyday life.
By recasting the public-private debate in terms of a gradient rather
than a split, we might better understand the conditions producing
forms of privacy and publicity in contemporary cities, and how
certain technologies enable one to poke holes into an otherwise
smooth continuum.

Tokyo provides a number of examples. Consider the physical fabric of
the built city. While dense urban centers like Ginza, Marunouchi,
Shinjuku and Shibuya present conventional (western) public-private
boundaries established largely by continuous street facades, roaming
off the major thoroughfares introduces an entirely different set of
conditions. The scale shifts dramatically, and the broad linear
street gives way to narrow winding pathways defined by two or three
story buildings with little concern for declaring clear boundaries
based on property lines. Rather, a series of transitional spaces
(stairways, entrance areas, informal gardens of potted plants
spilling onto the sidewalk, side alleys filled with bicycles, an
occasional fishtank) mediate between the publicity of the street and
the privacy of the home. It can be difficult to sense the limits of
where you can wander. The traditional Japanese house extends this
transitional zone into the house itself, where the ground plane is
drawn into the foyer for receiving visitors and where one removes
one's shoes prior to stepping up into the more private domain of the
interior (cf. Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story).

At the same time, along these side streets it is common to find
vending machines (a truly ubiquitous technology in Japan - you'll
even find them atop Mt. Fuji) embedded into the exterior walls of
private buildings or situated in the gap between two properties.
Here, the public is directly embedded within the private,
transgressing the artifice of the property line.

On the other end of the spectrum, Tokyo's major train stations are
labyrinthine structures within which the distinction between public
and private is often ambiguous. In these stations, multiple rail
systems (Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway, Japan Rail (JR), and the Keio,
Odakyu, and Tobu lines) overlap, some of which are publicly
controlled, others private concerns. Connecting these different
systems is an extensive warren of underground passages, replete with
restaurants, shops, and a multitude of services for the weary
commuter. The transition between public corridor and private shopping
passage is easily missed, sometimes only expressed through minor
surface variations. Shinjuku station has over 60 exists, some
spilling into department stores, others onto the street. Taking the
Ginza line to Shibuya station lands you two floors above the level of
the street in the bowels of the sprawling Tokyu department store. The
sectional building diagram indicating where you are when you get off
the train mysteriously(?) leaves out any reference to the ground
plane. Finding one's way out to the street can take some time.

Now, one could say there is in fact no such thing as a physical
Public Sphere in Japan, at least in Habermaas' terms of a space for
friction, conflict, and confrontation that forms the basis of open,
democratic public space. "Public space" here appears to be governed
by a set of protocols aimed at avoiding confrontation at all costs by
introducing a modicum of politeness in public settings. Nowhere is
this more evident than in the protocols for mobile phone use. When
riding the subway, graphic signage instructs you to set your phone to
"manner mode" - sound off, text messaging only, please. Talking on a
mobile phone while riding the subway is uniformly frowned upon.
Within the social condenser of the subway car, private exchanges
transpire beneath the threshold of public awareness via text
messaging. Tools for maintaining privacy are also found in the mobile
phone itself, where "secret mode" enables you to erase any history of
calls to or from a specific number. Great feature for the
philandering spouse or amateur spy.

Further, the popularity of mobile audio devices like the iPod points
toward a desire to personalize the experience of the city with one's
own private soundtrack. The city becomes a film for which you compose
the soundtrack. These devices also afford the listener certain
exceptions to norms of social interaction within the public realm.
Donning a pair of earbuds grants a certain amount of social license,
enabling one to move through public space without necessarily getting
too involved, and absolving one from some responsibility to respond
to what’s happening around them. Some people use earphones to deflect
unwanted attention, finding it easier to avoid responding because
they look already occupied. In effect, the device becomes a tool for
organizing space, time and the boundaries around the body in public
space.

So it would appear that on almost every level, the physical
organization of a city like Tokyo subverts any clear demarcation
between public and private. Rather, it is in the tactical use of
technologies such as the mobile phone or the iPod that create mobile
zones of privacy within highly public situations. This has
significant implications for architecture, traditionally charged with
delimiting thresholds between public and private. How might
architecture respond to the impact of these "personal territory
machines"? How might the design of the mobile technologies benefit
from considering issues of privacy and publicity in the (broader)
terms of architecture and urbanism?

+
mark shepard
+