[iDC] Halftime

trebor at thing.net trebor at thing.net
Fri Jul 14 12:52:58 EDT 2006

Dear all,

Two weeks into the discussion, I'd like to thank all of you (!) who contributed
so far, especially our guests of the Architecture and Situated Technologies
Symposium.

It's halftime, a pause in the middle of the game to reflect on what was said so
far and to collect and redirect our energy for the second half. (After
half-time teams swap ends of the field of play).
<http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2006-July/thread.html>

The flow of our discussion led us from game narratives and situated technologies
to various notions of the networked public sphere, the rules and power dynamics
of the iDC list, gender-specific list participation as well as broader
participation in civil society and the networked public sphere. In addition, we
debated our various views on theory.

How can we join these concerns under the umbrella of situated, locative media
projects? Some initially posed questions:

What opportunities and dilemmas does a world of networked objects and spaces
pose for architecture, art, and computing? How might this evolving relation
between people and "things" alter the way we occupy, navigate, and inhabit the
built environment? What distinguishes the emerging urban sociality enabled by
the Wireless Internet from traditional narratives of the public sphere?

(Please continue existing threads, of course.)

Shu Lea Cheang wrote:
"It seems that several attempts by posters to lead the discussion more on
artistic practice were sidetracked?"

"My sincere worry is that there is no developed critique about public sphere
projects."

I agree with these observation and I suggest to go back to posts by Jonah
Brucker-Cohen, Shu Lea Cheang, and Adriene Jenik.

<http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2006-July/000482.html>
<http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2006-July/000489.html>
<http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2006-July/000485.html>

This is also a CALL TO ARTISTS to (shamelessly) offer descriptions of their
*locative, situated projects* for discussion.

-Trebor

PS: The number of posts has increased and some of you may want to switch to
"digest," to receive only one daily compilation of the discussion threads.