[iDC] on participation.....

gadflyproduction at aol.com gadflyproduction at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 11:45:23 EDT 2006

trebor et al,

i, too, have been amongst the "lurking females" (quietly peering at
male discourse through venetian blinds like isabella roselini in blue
velvet).  although much of the writing is of interest and keeps me
abreast of the fomenting dialogue around new media debates, my lack of
more engaged participation stems, perhaps, from some of the regurgitive
& highly referential mental masterbation that sometimes surfaces.  the
theoretical jargon often becomes a thick veil that dead ends healthy
conversation/dialogue.

secondly, in response to pamela's observation below about lists
paralleling secret societies, and the need to seek out a more
synchronous, communication tool for this forum, perhaps we should
consider moving this dialogue into Second Life.
(http://secondlife.com/), developed by linden labs.  it would allow for
more real time, face to face (well, avatar to avatar) inter(re)actions,
and it might enable us to visually represent some of the more dynamic
theoretical ideas around autonomy, convergence culture, networked
public sphere, and even gendered participation.

if this is of interest, let me know, i was at the games for change
conference recently, showing a new game i'm working on about
deportation & detention with undocumented youth, and i met the fellow
who "sells the land" for universities/organizations.

thanks for raising the topic...

heidi j. boisvert