[iDC] Where have all the women gone?

Sarah Kanouse sarahk at readysubjects.org
Wed Jul 12 21:51:37 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I've been a lurking woman (sounds so terribly sinister--maybe
'observing' is better?) on iDC since it was a few months old.  The
list is tremendously important to me and is one way I remain
connected to discourse beyond my local setting (a very small town and
regional state university).   Thus far that participation has meant
observing (yes, Laura, that is a form of participating, I hope!) and
bringing the posts here into dialogue with colleagues, students, and
friends in an offline environment which I imagine to differ a good
deal from the offline environments of those who post regularly.

Real, material differences in the offline environments of list
members might well be the key difference between those who post and
those who observe.  Eric is absolutely correct when he says that men
need to modify their online behavior as a concrete manifestation of
anti-sexist practice, but in the end that is not enough.  We've heard
from several women about their own time binds, and Laura Sillars's
drift through Google revealed what we already know: that the 'lack'
of women's active participation on iDC is echoed in many other
forums, on and offline.  Maybe this isn't a question of feeling
welcome vs. intimidated; it's a question of time, life and
economics.    While iDC is not exclusively populated by academics,
academia poses an instructive example.  All of us already know, for
instance:

1) Women are over-represented at community colleges, second-tier
universities, and in adjunct and non-tenure-track positions with much
higher teaching obligations  ("Gender Inequity in Academia," http://
www.usc.edu/academe/acsen/resources/newsletter/0001v2n1/
newsvol2no1article9.shtml)

2) Women and other minorities in academia tend to be overburdened by
service and advising work. ("So Many Committees, So Little Time," The
Chronicle of Higher Education, 2004)

3) Women who have babies are substantially _less_ likely to get
tenure than either men who have babies or women who do not, while men
who have babies are slightly _more_ likely to get tenure than men who
do not. ("Do Babies Matter?: The Effect of Family Formation on the
Lifelong Careers of Academic Men and Women" http://www.aaup.org/
publications/Academe/2002/02nd/02ndmas.htm)

4) Women in heterosexual relationships continue to do the bulk of the
housework, and while well-educated and gender-egalitarian men do
somewhat more housework, they are also much more likely to overreport
what they do. ("Wives' and Husbands' Housework Reporting," Gender and
Society 1998)

I often find myself frustrated with 'solutions' to gender (and
racial) imbalance that focus primarily on changing individual's
behaviors to address perceptual issues (e.g. is this a "male" space?
can we make it a female-friendly space? etc).  This course of
argument seems to internalize or at least not call into question the
(sexist) equation of women and emotion such that all 'problems' with
women can be dealt with soft changes--language, affect, and
perception--rather than through institutional change or changes in
behavior more substantive than stylistic.  Working to make the
institutions we inhabit offline more 'woman-friendly' may accomplish
more to increase women's online participation than changing one's
tone of voice.

Cheers,

Sarah