[iDC] Reading Women/Writing Women/Being Women

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:58:50 EDT 2006

It's really interesting to discuss how and why are women represented
in Art and in life, in "bare life", quoting Documentas discussion. For
some years ago I attended a conference hosted by the  Institute of
Gender Research in Leeds, headed by Griselda Pollock. Griselda is one
of the pioneers of the work of "recuperation" of the historical female
painters, from Artemisia Gentileschi till Unica Zurn, Leonora
Carrington, Remedios Varo.
The conference had as subject the work of the Belgian psychoanalytical
and philosopher Luce Irigaray. Irigaray, now in her mid-70, was at the
conference and discussed with the audience, most composed by students
and scholars working with Irigarays writings, hr own work.
She belonged to the circle around Lacan but was expelled, almost "sent
in exile" when she wrote two major books, "An Ethic of Sexual
Difference" and "Speculum of the Other Woman".
In those books she criticised  the whole corpus of the Western
Philosophy, where the woman is not a "subject".
I think when we deal with representations we are dealing with our dark
and old archetypes, a kind of "social meme" eternalizing in society
the conceptions of the women work and the female intellectual
production as "less worth".
I have been a hard core online gamer under many years and was always
appaled by the lack of phantasy the female avatars were showed, big
breasts à la Lara Croft, less strenght than the male avatars, less
endurance.
The representation in cyberspace of an androgyn bigbusted woman body
is odd and must be related to the almost homogenous ethnic and gender
programmer profession.
Ana