[iDC] Re: In response to Tiziana

tt tterra at fastwebnet.it
Fri Jul 7 03:48:32 EDT 2006

about some of the answers to benkler and trebor's points on the
networked public sphere.

Is the best question to ask the Internet and new technologies whether
they can constitute a valuable means of opposition to current modes of
economic organization and government (in their neoliberal synthesis now
dangerously veering off towards a neocon mutation?)

I am not saying that this is not a question worth asking (and in fact it
is asked again and again). I only think that the question as such comes
with a set of ready-made answers attached, it defines a field of
possible answers that has been pretty much extensively mapped out. This
is not meant as a critique of what people have said, it is just an
observation about what the question does, almost autonomously, once it
is posed in this way.

The answers can only be: yes (it has been demonstrated, it is constantly
been demonstrated in thousands of ways as trebor has remarked); no (it
cannot constitute a pure opposition because its implication in
oppressive modes of governmental and economic domination is also clearly
observable, whether it is about surveillance or marketing); and yes and
no at the same time (it is both, so the question is how to amplify the
liberating potential in ways that sidestep its oppressive one).

The problem for me is that these new technologies are not tools which
can be used by autonomous agents in one way or another depending on
context and will. They constitute an environment, a milieu, a field of
effects, an assemblage a zone of indistinction between natural, social
and technological components and effects. Can you say an environment is
liberating or oppressing depending on how you use it? Is it a legitimate
question to ask of an enviroment? (just asking)

A completely different matter, however, is how the question of the
liberating/oppressive potential effect of the Internet forces us to
confront the way we think about political change, and the categories we
have inherited from twentieth century political thinking. Categories and
concepts such as

a. the public sphere (a space separated from government and private
interests, a space of general interests constituted by an ongoing
dialogue between rational subjects which gradually and through debate
achieve a consensus). Are we sure that the notion of a subject in all
its variations (kantian, hegelian, husserlian)  has withstood the test
of time?

b. contradiction and opposition. The question for me is not: is the
Internet something that stands in a negative relation of opposition to
power (and hence always prey to danger of incorporation). The question
for me is: does the hegelian/marxist model of the dialectics, and its
reliance on the power of the negative, with the spectre of the reverse
power of appropriaton, really allow us to think through in productive
ways about the nature of political change?

c. democracy. What is the value of such word today, beyond some kind of
oppositional value to authoritarian drifts in government? I just think
that we should be careful about posing something that we call democracy
as some kind of goal to achieve. Not because a fuller participation to
government is not valuable or desirable, but because we do not yet know
what democracy can mean. We know that it cannot be about voting once in
a while. We know that it cannot simply be about more communication (if
the spiritual event of communication is not actualized in living
relations between bodies, as Johm Hopkins' example of his accident
shows, it remains half dead). We do not know how many possible
democracies can exist,  and how they could actualize themselves.
Personally, I think that democracy is something that still needs to be
invented - and it will be a reinvention that will displace the
Eurocentric (yes including US) nature of democracy as we know it.

d. the MASSES. As somebody who teaches MASSES of students and who tends
to hang out with committed leftist types, I am fascinated by how the
twentieth century category of the mass is well and alive among, how can
I put it, the masses?  :-D As Raymond Williams used to say, everybody
believes in the existence of the mass, but nobody wants to be part of
it.  I could talk about this for ages. I think that the persistence of
the word mass, after postmodernism and cultural studies had more or less
decreed that it was a word with no real use, is a challenge. Ulisses has
well summarised what I think is the ways in which most people perceive
the mass today: a field of dispersion. Yes, ok, one can produce all this
information about the war which is not there in the mainstream media
(not my argument or Ulisses', just repeating by hearsay), but this has
no impact overall because the mass disperses the potential active
effect. The masses are manipulated and cannot really see things clearly.
The mass is the word for that which can not be roused, and even if it
is, as for a moment as with the Gulf War, it does not really manage to
change anything - it does not persist as an active agent of change. It
can oppose some resistance, but it has no real power. Personally, I do
not think that the problem is with the mass (are we sure that nothing
really happens at the level of the mass? How do we know in advance what
kind of effects all these distributed communications are having?), but
with the way one think about the question of the many. And by many I
mean an abstract, almost indefinite quality, a dispersion of the
conscious, rational subject from the inside and outside (are we sure
that those masses/multitudes/crowds of neurons within our brain do not
share something with the masses outside? Aren't they dispersing as well
our will to change?).

just some thoughts from the midst of the mass hysteria of football crazy
Italy!

xt