[iDC] Ars Electronica

jrodenbe at slc.edu jrodenbe at slc.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:47:46 EST 2006

Well, assuming iDC "wins" some kind of $, why not use it to pay those
speakers whose texts are distributed on the iDC website some kind of
one-time honorarium? Or, perhaps better, really "distribute creativity" in
the form of distributing inexpensive laptops with wireless capacity--or
even distributing wireless--in those locations that are usually
underserved by such technology such as sub-Saharan Africa or parts of
Southeast Asia?

Allan Kaprow once asked Marcel Duchamp for a recommendation for a
Guggenheim Fellowship. Duchamp, being a gentleman, of course wrote the
letter. And then he sent Kaprow a note that said, "I hope you 'get it.'"

Judith

> Dear all,
>
> Ars Electronica sent us  (the iDC list) an invitation to apply for their
*Digital Communities* Prix Ars Electronica (see below). What do you
think? Should we follow their invitation? I have a bit of an issue with
such awards. They have the potential to be quite divisive.  How do you
*measure/evaluate* a community? What would the  few hundred of us do
with the price money? There are not really any costs attached to this
list except all of our volunteer labor. So far, The Thing kindly hosts
this list for free.  Are Fibreculture or Crumb *better* communities if
they receive it (which they should!)?