[iDC] Ars Electronica

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Mon Jan 16 17:58:23 EST 2006

Dear all,

Ars Electronica sent us  (the iDC list) an invitation to apply for their
*Digital Communities* Prix Ars Electronica (see below). What do you
think? Should we follow their invitation? I have a bit of an issue with
such awards. They have the potential to be quite divisive.  How do you
*measure/evaluate* a community? What would the  few hundred of us do
with the price money? There are not really any costs attached to this
list except all of our volunteer labor. So far, The Thing kindly hosts
this list for free.  Are Fibreculture or Crumb *better* communities if
they receive it (which they should!)?

best,
Trebor

Dear Trebor Scholz,

The category "Digital Communities", which met with great
interest and participation in 2004 and 2005, will be awarded
again by Prix Ars Electronica in 2006.

The project "Distributed Creativity" seems relevant to
this category and we would like to encourage you and your
team to participate with this project in the category
"Digital Communities" of this year's Prix Ars Electronica.

The Digital Communities category is open to political,
social and cultural projects, initiatives, groups and scenes
from all over the world that display contentious commitment
in coming up with smart, successful ways of deploying
digital technologies to solve social problems. Particular
emphasis is placed on a project's degree of community
innovation, its sustainability and its use of technology in
a way that makes good sense and is attuned to the needs of
the people meant to benefit from it. Digital Communities
projects should make it easier for people to access
technology, networks and the Digital Commons.

For a detailed description of the category and about Prix
Ars Electronica in general, please see our website:
http://www.aec.at/en/prix/communities/communities.asp

Prizes
One Golden Nica with 10,000 Euro, two Awards of Distinction
with 5,000 Euro each and up to 12 Honorary Mentions will
be awarded by the Jury.

The registration starts January 10, 2006.
The deadline for submissions is March 17, 2006.

Please use
http://www.aec.at/en/prix/registration/index.asp
for your submission and to obtain further details.

If you need any further information or help, please do not
hesitate to contact us.
It would be very helpful if you could circulate the
information as widely as possible in your community and post
in in your blogs!

Looking forward to your participation!

Sincerely yours,
Ingrid Fischer-Schreiber