[iDC] lambda lambda lamda

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:54:47 EST 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 11:01 AM, idc-request at bbs.thing.net wrote:

> I'm afraid the ecology will get left in the dust by the
> proprietary. But maybe I never made it to left field where
> the really interesting part of the question lies.

i think you definitely hit on some things i'm trying to feel out
Brian... along with Trebor's question re; "what values run our
networks."
i'm also imagining a scenario (that doesn't seem too far off to me) in
which the current situation of forced scarcity that is concerned with
intellectual property and access to markets might shift into an ecology
of actual scarcity (whether it's brought on by petrocollapse, natural
disasters or a major economic shift). i'm not talking about all out
catastrophe, but rather cascading and simultaneous micro-events that
don't bring about total upheaval, but rather exacerbate and heighten
the force of power regimes, including property ownership.
In which case recourse might expand beyond legal means re contested
transmissions (it kinda has already, no?)
this is where those values that Trebor's asking about really become
important i think. not that they're not crucial sans cisis!
the idea of a decentralized network (whether its the darpanet or the US
highway system) were historically rooted in maintaining power in times
of crises (and expanding, literally, markets i know). of course, the
hope is that the systems can be appropriated - that their can be
"network neutrality." it certainly seems possible, i'm just not sure
it's really been tested yet (though it certainly seems to undergoing
some tests at the moment!).
best,
ryan