[iDC] expanded practice

Andrea Polli apolli at hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Feb 8 08:20:31 EST 2006

On the topic of expanded practice posted by Trebor, several things come
to mind.

First, of course, is the history of examining traditional notions of
artist, curator and audience in contemporary art  (Mary Jane Jacob's
important work for example).  To me, the most engaging of these
projects have been those that challenge the traditional museum and
gallery structure, exposing the power structure by pointing out groups
that have been historically excluded (for example, the work of the
previously mentioned Mongrel, Gomez-Pena and the Guerilla Girls),
questioning who is defined as an artist, and rewriting gallery and
museum commentary to make clear the omissions of the editorial process
(for example, audio exhibition guides like those of artist Susan
Collins).

Ute Meta Bauer, the recently appointed director of the Visual Arts
Program at MIT,  said: "All art is political. Curatorial practice means
focusing on the importance of context, time and place in the perception
of art. Curating is a way to explore politics with a different language
and to position art as a relevant voice in society," Like Trebor, I
have a number of MFA students who curate, organize and write as part of
their practice.  We encourage it, our MFA program in Integrated Media
Art at Hunter started just 3 years ago and was designed with expanded
practice in mind.  It was designed this way not only to respond to the
needs of students, but also with consideration to developing PhD
programs (including a CUNY wide PhD in Media currently in the works).

My own practice in Art and Science has also involved a variety of
approaches,  found a quote from Sara Diamond on the CRUMB site that
addresses some of the issues I have encountered in this area: "Art and
science institutions have sometimes invited artists in to play with
their equipment, only to find them fundamentally challenging their
whole value systems: [new media art] practice challenges the notion of
authorship, has to do with collective authorship; non western ideas of
discourse is something the museum has always had trouble with. And what
has happened on the net is a brain of a social collectivity, that
allows discursive practice ... How do you support and preserve a
critical practice that is inclusive ... how can you do that when it is
difficult to pin down authorship?" - Sara Diamond, Banff Centre for the
Arts (Sins of Change conference, 2000).

At 12:30 Feb 22nd in room 208 at the CAA conference in Boston we'll be
hosting a roundtable for the Leonardo Education Forum.  Trebor and
Victoria Vesna will be presenting and then we will have a series of
breakout group discussions on these and other topics.  If you are at
the conference, I hope you can come.

--
Andrea Polli
MFA Director