[iDC] Re: social machine

Francis Hunger francis at repertoire-mag.net
Sun Feb 5 07:42:56 EST 2006

Regarding what Adam said on artist fees I just would like to add the
impression, that a lot of festivals live from students work (who in turn
are paid by their parents or are state subsidiced so to speak). This
often seems to return a certain quality of works which might be fresh on
the one hand and repeating issues, topics and cultural techniques again
and again on the other hand, maybe because of lack of historical
insight. Last year I was involved in the readme 100 festival and its
approach at least tried to address some of the problems which Adam
mentioned.

There was no single winner. From about 100 submitted proposals, 5 texts
and 5 software projects where choosen to get a "grant" (or however you
want to call it) to actually produce them. The festival itself consisted
of the presentation of the finished software pieces/ texts. This of
course was a highly risky experience, insofar as the brilliance of a
proposal does not nescessairily lead to a decent result. In most cases
it did. Regarding the texts, readme 100 had the already described
problem of presenting long papers. There were 2 remote talks via skype,
something I would like to continue in the future. Especially the
interview format worked well via skype.  Mitchell Whitelaw (from
Australia) was also telepresent through a short self introductory video
he shot and we downloaded in advance.

Finally worth to mention is, that there is no jury statement in the book
which was produced afterwards - I remember it was discussed as a
possibility. We simply felt, that jury statements are to general, saying
a lot and nothing at the same time. An idea of former readme
publications was picked up again, which worked out quite well: Single
jury members or a collaborating combination of two people wrote short
features (via wiki), introducing each of the artist statements and
theoretical texts which are printed in the book.

so far...

Francis