[iDC] The Bronx Blog Project

tobias c. van Veen tobias at techno.ca
Sun Dec 17 23:12:29 EST 2006

ola -- quick note to say ::brilliant:: it's good to know there were opt-out
options for blogging, as strange as that may seem (if not
counter-productive!), & a good deal spent obviously thinking about it on
your part, Joshua.

I must admit, the "liar" episode intrigues me. Did you feel it was because
the student didn't understand the public nature of his blog that he wrote
the critical / vengeful comments concerning the professor?

Or was it because the student understood very well the public nature of the
blog, that everyone was going to be reading it, and yet also understood the
raison-d-etre of blogging itself, or rather, the desire of blogging, the
impulse, what drives us to air dirty laundry and write the unspeakable, to
upset the figure of authority -- and to invert the private to the public --
and wanted to up the ante on what the Course was suggesting?

Was this really an emergency lesson in blogging or the moment that blogging
punctured a hole through educational - institutional strictures &
structures?

Was your warning serving to restore the balance? Did it effectively end
expression of dissent even if wrong or vengeful? What was the intervention
of yourself at this moment? Very curious (as I browse new photos on
http://webdeleuze.com w/ revolutionary slogans & flags spraypainted on the
walls -- when was the last time this happened in your university? is it
happening now, then, on blogs?).
    [ http://www.webdeleuze.com/php/image.html ]
    [ http://www.webdeleuze.com/php/pics/deleuze5.jpg ]
    [ http://www.webdeleuze.com/php/pics/deleuze12.jpg ]

> In other classes I've struggled to convince students that
> advertising should at the very least be distrusted and investigated; many of
> them don't mind that they're being studied and prodded by marketers as long as
> they get their stuff.

Yes, I have faced the same problematic & I am sure many teachers can nod in
agreement : trying to convey a sense of why retaining invisibility -- I
think of privacy as a kind of invisibility, at times, from the watchdogs of
the world -- is a right unto itself puts one in the strange position of
being a metaphysician in the 21C. For the given truth that all information
is accessible to all and that it only exists to begin with from the grace of
the Corporation is the fundamental of understanding and world_view for those
born, say, after what, 1988... (in a particular socio-economic strata /
geographic slice, we accept).

Thanks again for the information on the project & for following up on these
exchanges.

best,

    tobias

tobias c. van Veen -----------++++