[iDC] Which programs address the challenges of participatory cultures?

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Sun Dec 17 17:40:37 EST 2006

The idea of a del.icio.us link collection of new media programs will be welcomed by many,
I'm sure. The goal of my short survey, however, was not to list every single new media
program in existence but to create a filter.

Which programs address the challenges of participatory cultures? Out of the list that I
posted, I can clearly see that at MIT's Comparative Media Studies (CMS) program where
students are "prepared for jobs that don't yet exist."

http://www.collectivate.net/journalisms/2006/12/16/a-survey-of-new-media-programs
.html

"Our courses are designed to teach students to both make and reflect upon media and in
the process, to acquire important skills in team work, leadership, problem solving,
collaboration, brainstorming, communications, and project completion... "

Talking about the challenges that participatory cultures bring to the education of youth,
Henry Jenkins (CMS director) points out that:

"Literacy skills for the twenty-first century are skills that enable participation in the new
communities emerging within a networked society. They enable students to exploit new
simulation tools, information appliances, and social networks; they facilitate the exchange
of information between diverse communities and the ability to move easily across
different media platforms and social networks." (Jenkins, p55)

http://www.digitallearning.macfound.org/atf/cf/%7B7E45C7E0-A3E0-4B89-AC9C-
E807E1B0AE4E%7D/JENKINS_WHITE_PAPER.PDF

Which programs teach these core competencies and how do they do it?

Trebor