[iDC] notes on media remix

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 15:23:20 EDT 2006

Hey Curt and Ryan - I'm going to have to be brief 'cause I have a
zillion things to do today, but yeah, basically I agree with what you
say when you refer to "remix aesthetics" as a "personal cultural
survival tactic" - this is something that Lev completely misses the
point on: hybridity and its discontents posit that there was some
kind of meta narrative that Europe's colonization imposed on the idea
of "subjectivity" - being able to participate in the narrative was
part of the idea of privilege - of belonging to the Enlightenment and
it's ideals. If you look at the philosophical implications of "remix"
culture, it's about dismantling meta narratives, and reconstructing
subjective interpretations. This is something most non European
cultures had to go through after de-colonisation, and this is sadly
not reflected in the arts, in much of the theory scene, and in the
way that "remix" culture is now become trendy in the academy. I know
that's speaking broadly, but hey, take a stroll through Chelsea
sometime...  Things are slowly changing, but yeah, I'd like to see
more transformation of the contemporary art scene. It's the 21st
century. Who would have guessed that things would be this boring in
the artworld?

Anyway, the idea of textual poaching comes from the basic frame of
multiple narratives co-existing simultaneously - this is something
that Mcluhan pointed out on the record version of "The Medium is The
Massage" - a rare record indeed! But it's also something you could
find in an Ornette Coleman record like "Free Jazz" or the polyphony
of painters like Wilfredo Lam who Picasso famously copied - Wilfredo
Lam was Afro-Cuban, and Picasso, was of course, European - who do you
think is more well known now?

All I can say is that I started out as an artist focusing on collage
based aesthetics, and found that the artworld would not allow this
kind of stuff. My work was received in a really different way than,
say, Christian Marclay or John Oswald, and I felt that this kind of
inability to deal with the material was based on my works
relationship to hip hop and more rhythm oriented materials.

My book "Rhythm Science" is in its 6th edition, and is one of MIT
Press's top selling books, and I think that's because the kids relate
to this kind of thing, and I can only hope it will change people's
incredibly limited visions of multiculturalism, theory, and the
relationship between remix culture and the fine arts.

Instead of Lev Manovich's treasured European film makers - I offer:

Oscar Michaeux's 1920 "Within Our Gates" response to D.W. Griffith
Wilfredo Lam's Afro Cuban painting - yes, before Duchamp & Picasso
Valentine de St. Point's "Manifesto of Lust" - 1913
Ethiopian painting traditions (these have been widely discussed as a
religious and secular forerunner to cartoon's representations of
action occurring in multiple frames simultaneously etc etc)

anything by Orson Welles... Especially "F for Fake" and his radio
play "War of the Worlds"

the list goes on, but you get the idea.

gotta run,
Paul