[iDC] Lev Manovich on Remix Culture

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 13 18:27:21 EDT 2006

Manovich is always an interesting guy and maybe one has to
forgive his leaden techno-determinism and insistence on
media copulating in the petri dish, etc, as defense
mechanisms in the face of the triumphant American juggernaut
- which, after all, looks pretty damn deterministic
nowadays, and not only if your perspective is Eastern European!

What I find valuable in the "Info Aesthetics" project is
another restatement of the thesis that the current
multimedia toolkit automates the formal inventions of the
20s vanguards. This is true, and one of the great historical
ironies is that we are all bathed in a shifting
sense-surround of manipulation techniques based on the very
visual tropes of montage and jump-cut editing that were
supposed to be communist and emancipatory. However, unlike
Manovich, I think that the carry-over from the 20s (and then
again fron the 60s) is best seen as a deep historical
ambiguity. To ignore the way that long-term social dynamics
influence the media mix is to forget the lessons of vanguard
philologists from the 20s, Bakhtin for instance. There is a
heteroglossia of new media, its language is complex and
divided, full of latent potential. The traces of generations
from all across the "color spectrum" who struggled to carve
out some space of possibility in the technics of capitalist
civilization now stare at us from every commercial
application; and like Benjaminian media flaneurs we can
embrace those frozen gazes if we want to, and make them into
departure points for a new conversation. If only we have the
strength of desire to somehow fly in the face of the inevitable.

best, BH

Trebor Scholz wrote:

 > At the occasion of the exhibition "Media Miniature" at
Pratt Manhattan
 > Gallery Lev Manovich introduced a new essay from his
upcoming book
 > "Infoaesthetics."
 >
 > <http://www.pratt.edu/news/popup.php?story=03.02.

06_Pratt_Manhattan_Gallery_Exhibition_Explores_Diminutive_Scale.html>

 > <http://www.manovich.net/IA/index.html>
 >
 > Quickly going back and forth between a projected myriad
of open browser
 > windows he presented his notion of remix culture.
 >
 > Manovich anthropomorphized the evolution of new media. He
delineated a
 > map of the development of new media and linked stages in
that trajectory
 > to the computerized simulation of physical objects. His
core suggestion,
 > carefully constructed, was the emergence of hybrid media
emerging out of
 > remix culture. Multimedia for Manovich is an inadequate
concept that
 > defines media as standing next to each other. Today, "the
computer
 > becomes a petri dish in which different media mate,
hybridize, mix.
 > Media come together and create offspring. Meta media²
(roughly quoted
 > from memory). Manovich called himself a biologist of new
media observing
 > and reflecting this process. In his visual presentation
he quickly
 > switched back and forth between art examples and
commercial business
 > applications such as corporate promotional MTV-type video
clips,
 > maps.a9.com or mappr.com.
 >
 > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia>
 > <http://mappr.com/>
 >
 > A9 maps shows a video of the location next to the map of
the searched
 > spot. Examples demonstrated included the joining of
video, drawing, and
 > 3D objects. Hybrid aesthetics. Manovich indeed treated
the computer
 > programs and hybrid media forms like lab test animals.
"We are not yet
 > techno-deterministic enough..." he said.
 >
 > In the question and answer session several problems were
posed. Instead
 > of phrasing his media historical map as one aspect of the
current media
 > landscape, he argued for these phenomena as the evolution
of new media
 > in which one technological development informs the next. The
 > intentionally provocative formalism at play here leaves
several facets
 > out of sight. But Manovich's argument undoubtedly sheds
light on one
 > detail of the current media development.
 > Someone in the audience questioned the speaker's
decisively formalist
 > approach dissecting the surface of the described media
mix without
 > looking at the algorithmic workings of these processes. A
perhaps
 > conscious blind spot of Manovich's suggestion, already
evident in
 > "Language of New Media," was that "old" and emerging
media are somewhat
 > described in a social vacuum. The idea of the isolated
petri dish in
 > which one media copulates with the other pushes that
notion to its
 > logical extreme. At the talk the question was posed if
new media are not
 > conditioned by both, societal driving forces (e.g. the
cold war leading
 > to the invention of the Internet) and the
cross-pollination of one
 > technological development by previous technological
findings. Manovich's
 > response to this question was "Can you prove that social
factors were at
 > play?" Manovich¹s historical trajectory was also drawn in
a straight
 > line as if one occurrence just leads directly to the next.
 >
 > A second comment was concerned with another aspect,
central to today's
 > media panorama. Sociable media. Manovich's talk did not
address the way
 > in which the users of technologies shape their
development through their
 > use. Our devices are shaped by us and they in turn shape
us. The
 > participatory characteristics of the current culture of
sociable web
 > media as well as physical computing were absent from
Manovich's mental
 > media history map.
 > None of the mentioned concerns would have been all that
pertinent if
 > Manovich's argument would have been phrased as a
micro-history of new
 > media, a snapshot of one aspect, instead of a grand
representation of
 > the history of new media at large.
 >
 > People left Manovich's talk vividly debating, inspired,
and provoked to

<http://collectivate.net/journalisms/2006/4/9/lev-manovich-on-remix-