[iDC] Lev Manovich on Remix Culture

Beth Warshafsky bskynyc at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 10:51:59 EDT 2006

I think this is an interesting point, but at the same time,
it doesn't diminish my interest in the show "Sons and Lumiere".
That show was obviously taking a second look at
"western" art and expanding our understanding
of what those artists were thinking about.
Of course it threaded its way to the present.. and
perhaps it is in this light you have objections?

However, in responding to Lev's talk  and his focus on
the visual.  I thought it was relevant to refer to his point
of departure, including his writing in " What is Digital Cinema."
Since he went back to the birth of cinema and also made mention
of early experimental works, I wanted to point out that
even before this historical point, many artists were
compelled and interested in the correspondence between
sound and image. colour and sound, and that this in fact "colored"
the birth  of (western) modernism  and issues of form
( which were also  influenced by expanding
awareness of Asian and  African art).
I was not talking about re:mix and all it's implications today.
That is an interesting discussion that can be cultural, political,
formal.   I think it is huge.

Perhaps a formal exploration could create contexts for viewing
works across geographies and cultures and time?

But I also think we have to be aware of how technology
itself not only forges space for new relationships, but
wipes out other cultural practices (not to mention language, etc.)

Now I wander.

But I am always, personally looking at our time, our tools and our
activities
as part of a double-edged sword.

Beth