[iDC] Re(2): REFRESH! conference

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Tue Oct 25 15:21:41 EDT 2005

Hi John, Simon, et al:

Although, as a Univ educator -- I agree with John's appraisal of the
condition of the contemporary educational institution (having taught
in around 50 institutions in Europe and the US), there is this
critical area to consider:  yes, the classroom has not undergone a
physical re-design, but perhaps it doesn't need one.  When the door
closes, it has the potential to be a space for transcendent
encounters between the participants IF the oppressive effects of the
fear that is instilled by the dominant educational system in both
student and teacher -- the fear of nonconformity, the fear of
personal idiosyncrasies, and the fear of the unknown.  I believe this
fear is a result of the accumulation of pathologic (unbalanced)
relationships that are mandated between humans when operating in
hierarchic situations.  If, as a facilitator, I can make even a small
breathing space by establishing a trusting relationship among the
participants, a space that allows at least a consideration of the
powers that cause the fear to begin with, I feel that I have been
successful.  Of course, it is important to go beyond an awareness of
the effects of oppressive social relations, and move into a radical
praxis that opens all possibilities, especially the possibility of
fearless encounters between the Self and the Other.  This, I believe
is the essence of learning -- the fearless opening of the Self to the
unknown Other, the willingness to empathetically share a point of
view with that Other.

The physical/material nature of the room itself does indeed have
built-in the accoutrements and arrangements of power and control.
But it is possible to do simple things like re-arrange the furniture.
this simple act alone cracks open the situation.  Sometimes, for
example, I take all the furniture in a space and before class I pile
it all up in a corner.  Watching the reactions when people come in
the door, and in the instant that there is a the registering that the
situation is anomalous, the participant facing an unknown.  It is in
that moment where something can happen.  It's also nice to have
participants "curate" changes of venue where everyone can meet.
Having a 'class' in someone's livingroom is sure to shift things.  It
is called a Living room for a reason...

Too often I have seen "new media" curriculums that miss the crucial
ramifications of what "new media" has inflicted on the social
structure -- where there is the teacher and the students, interacting
in the same old form of power relation. Yes, the subject of inquiry
is 'radical' and suggests other 'radical' ways of behavior within the
greater social system, but often the dynamic of classroom
relationships do not reflect the suggested realities of the subject
of inquiry.  I have found that it is of paramount importance to
facilitate (and participate in) a evolutionary set of relationships
that may start from the traditional teacher:student model, but
transitions to a distributed human network during the course of
studying "new media."

Furthermore, without establishing a lived praxis, the radical
possibilities of personal and social transformation are largely
missed.  I think this is a fundamental weakness of the vast majority
of academic programs that seek to engage "new media":  That within
the classroom, it IS business-as-usual.  Of course, there are
exceptions which usually are a result of the efforts of individual
teachers.  It is rare for an institution to move itself into a space
which denies the efficacy of its institutional structure.  It does
happen, but it is rare.

I have found crucial to my own praxis is my position within the local
hierarchy -- for the last ten-plus years I have maintained
connections to institutions through personal relationships of people
in those institutions.  From this, come invitations to conduct
workshops or seminars, where I am able to maintain a degree of
independence from the local politic.  This independence has great
value as my relationship with the students can be much more frank and
open in most cases.  Often, the workshops include in-depth critics of
the hierarchic situation that the students are in -- discussions that
evolve openly from the content of the workshop (for example -
networking and creative action) -- and discussions that lead to
practical awareness and actions that are immediately relevant to
actual situation of their lives.

Of course, I personally pay for this independence in the lack of
economic security that the social system mandates for people who
follow non-traditional behaviors...  Sometimes the price seems too
much, and a "permanent" position seems attractive, but usually I can
dispel that illusion with a phone call to tenure-track friends. ;-)

As for the history issue --  I would make a remix of Emersons intro
to "Nature":

Our age is simulation. It builds on the protocols of the fathers. It
modifies codes, programs, and interfaces. Generations before beheld
the Other face to face; we, through their surveillance monitors. Why
should not we also enjoy an original relation to the network? Why
should we not have a stream and dialogue of insight and not of
tradition, and a religion by revelation to us, and not the remix of
theirs? As we are carried for a time in this sensual presence, whose
floods of life stream around and through us, and invite us by the
energy they supply, to action, why should we search among the
overwritten drives of the past or put the living generation into a
simulation of its simulations? The sun shines to day also. There are
new nodes, new humans, new thoughts. Let us demand our own networks
and paths and protocols.

more 2-cents...

John