[iDC] Downtime & Play

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Sun Nov 20 12:00:55 EST 2005

Yours was a great response to a great post. Further thoughts below...

> How to be aware of the alienation inherent in the use of a mobile
> phone?  How to be aware of what has already been lost in the
> technologies that we have no conscious memory of it NOT being part of
> our social system?  Not so easy.  But, by identifying the principles
> by which this process of social determination takes place, and by
> which we each are changed, it is possible to tease out the mechanism
> and move to a more powerful position of a (radically?) modified lived
> praxis to reflect the knowledge of these principles.
>
> A critique is a weak response -- an altered life-praxis, based on
> principles, is much more powerful!
>
> Cheers
> John

I think that one way to do this is to invest in practices that
specifically address cross-cultural dynamics, because it is in the
technologically-induced dislocation between user cultures that both the
frictions/dangers and opportunities are made manifest. WE may have
forgotten what it was like before email, but 5/6 of the world has yet
to discover what it means to live with it.  To learn what we have
forgotten we need merely speak with someone who has yet to connect to
the web. Too often we forget that this simple solution is available to
us (not meaning to preach here, but it's true).

In designing technologically-mediated social environments for
communities that have yet to embrace the disempowering eConsumer
paradigm, human issues inevitably come to the fore. In such contexts,
when alternate models of engagement are introduced at the outset of an
encounter with a new technology, alienation becomes just one option
among many, including others that may clearly offer far more rewarding
and transformative delights. And in addition to the usefulness of such
projects in the particular, they also enable "identifying the
principles by which this process of social determination takes place,
and by which we each are changed",  in the general.

For example, a while back I spent several years connecting street kids
to their own creativity and knowledge via digital media. The critical
understanding I gleaned form my (and their) cross-cultural explorations
has valuably informed many completely unrelated media projects since.
It enabled the articulation of what has proven to be a potent
methodology based not on what technologically-savvy people thought
would work but on the fusion of the principles of experiential
education, collaborative creative improvisation and cross-cultural
mediation. The technology came into play as a set of enabling tools
only when our human goals were clear.  "Why?" is a question that must
be answered convincingly to engage people who have not been
indoctrinated.

Anyway, right on Trebor and John for your inspiring insights...

John Sobol

--
www.johnsobol.com
bluesology • printopolis • digitopia