[iDC] Activist Media Landscape

Brooke Singer brooke at bsing.net
Thu Dec 15 12:35:31 EST 2005

Hi Trevor,
This is fascinating and, of course, scary. I hope you come to the
NYC-area so I can hear the whole story. This model of "investigative
reporting" is a nice, subtle shift from "art as research" because there
is the ultimate goal of sharing the information not only in a very
public way but in a form that is readily understandable. And then the
really weird stuff happens.
Like last summer I had Wal-Mart calling me for data. This is laughable
right, with Wal-Mart reportedly "owning" 460 terabytes of data (roughly
twice as much as the internet). The Wal-Mart person had seen this
state-by-state breakdown of what types of data are encoded on US
licenses (http://turbulence.org/Works/swipe/state_analysis.html) that
is part of the Swipe project I have been doing with Preemptive Media.
Wal-Mart was starting a system (a government mandate) to keep track of
who was buying products with ephedrine and was researching how to
automate the process. They wanted to know how up-to-date our info was
since it is (as far as I know...) nowhere else publicly available. I
basically took a "I will show you our data, if you show me yours"
stance--and asked to see their 10 year strategic plan for RFID
implementation in exchange. There was no response.
Another good one was a letter a Swipe toolkit user forwarded us. He had
used one of our online forms to request his data from a Boston-based
data warehouse and received a letter back from the company that started
like this, "To answer your questions about what rights you have over
the information we have about you, there are none." Signed by their
customer service person. Thanks guys, could not have stated it better
myself.
So I tell these fun/funny stories because I have found that many of the
insights I have gained from this kind of investigative work often come
after the fact --when we step back from the rush of research and
pulling the pieces together--to see and document the reactions and
behaviors that happen in the wake.
Good luck!
Brooke