[iDC] Activist Media Landscape

Trevor Paglen tpaglen at berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 14 16:27:29 EST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I just finished the first part of a project that I think somehow fits
into the discussion here. As some of you know, I've been researching and
making work about "secret" military bases for the last few years. As a
part of that project, I came across a number of documents about the
CIA's "torture jets" and also came into contact with worldwide networks
of "plane spotters." About 2 weeks ago, I hooked up with an
investigative journalist and we came up with this article:
http://sfbg.com/

The thing that's important about this investigation is that we were able
to link at least one of the jets to a major public figure (something
that noone else has really been able to do). There's way more to the
story than made it into the weekly - I'll be explaining the whole
structure at lectures this spring.

Anyway, I think that somehow this project captures some of what Trebor
was talking about with 'public investigation' and distributed community
networks (of weird airplane spotter people) and so forth. But I have to
confess that I certainly haven't had much time to "dream" or relax or
anything lately. No sleep, and sometimes a good dose of nervousness.
Anyway, hope you enjoy the piece. I've found that these kinds of
investigative models of 'art' can be very fruitful - both in terms of
creating works that foreground a radical 'means of production' and get
around the fetishistic ways that all of us sometimes ontologize (is that
a word?) artworks. The images from this project aren't online (yet), but
they really do act as a kind of evidence, and not in a theoretical way
but rather one that is far more immediate.

Great discussions on this list, keep it up!

--
Trevor Paglen
Department of Geography

www.paglen.com