[iDC] Art

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Fri Dec 9 13:48:42 EST 2005

I'm sitting here and  working on further plans to develop a Center for
Art/ Science at The Cleveland Institute of Art - likewise I'm in the
process of dismantling what had been a fairly conventional fine arts
program - seeking to define a new program knowledge/ research based
studio program applicable to all media - my students tell me what they
need is a program that will supply them with material, formal and
conceptual skills as they are applicable to 2 and 3 dimensions , who
almost are on the verge of believing that technology is old hat or at
least the new technologies are -- for them time base media comes under
materials  and is used to realize 2&3 d projects - that is virtual or
real -- all images being virtual.  I spend a lot of time talking with
the head of industrial design about aesthetics and visual literacy and
the potential politic of design being the new paradigm-- or atleast
today we have the potential to fulfill the Bauhaus/ Constructivist
dream even if it is detached from social reform and revolution,
Maeanwhile, the Dean of integrated media instead is committed to an art
and industry model - business being the new culture and artist will be
used to tame and humanize it -- which boils down to vocational training
in the arts --  meanwhile; culture becomes the shared values of small
communities of like minded people - you students who only want only an
audience  sing to the wind " is anybody out there -- can you hear me?"
and may soon lay claim to the heritage of Cluny.  It is in this context
I would argue and not the isolated examples and moments of brilliant
theory that we find the terms of cultural complicity and resistance. To
  re-orientate and rethink  this situation I would again assert that we
are  obligated to abandon the fruits of many hard one victories because
the underlying assumptions they represent are no longer relevant or may
be in need of significant reformation both methodologically as well as
practically.  For instance we need no longer worry if there is art or
not – obviously, there are those who will continue to engage critically
or aesthetically in the traditional practices associated with art
while others will seek to expand our means of expression.  From this
perspective, the question that confronts us is not how to differentiate
cultural production hierarchically - this is a mere distraction by
which the cultural field is turned  into one a valueless homogeneity.
So,  I Imagine that if we are to stave off the negative effects of a
society willing to allow to profit to be extract from all aspects of
life it is time to self-reflectively engage in the fluid process of
evaluation, devaluation and re-evaluation rather than seek affirmation.