[iDC] activism now and

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Thu Dec 8 19:46:17 EST 2005

What is really interesting about this thread is that spontaniety,
resistance, activism, media, etc. are being fetishized, while no one
has raised the question of political program and leadership.  Are these
unnecessary in our fragmented and decentered world, or is the type of
essentialism that these decontextualized categories of reaction
represent,  along with the desire to relocate the political to the
cultural sphere a sign that we have not moved beyond the reified
modernist vision of the enlightenment project.
Saul Ostrow
Dean,
Visual Arts and Technologies Environment
Chair of Painting
The Cleveland Institute of Art